Skip to main content

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater.


We are so sorry for the delay in the review. We know we haven't done a review in a long time but it is FINALLY here...


Emma's Rating:4/5
Ashvini's Rating: 4/5

Emma:
I had a great time reading this book. Recently I have been in a bit of a book slump because I have kept wanting to buy most 97.5% of the books that I read and want to read (don't judge, they are all just so good). Lets start with the cover. It is so appealing is it not? *sigh* Love at first sight. (Ashvini- Really?) Anyways, the plot line was also pretty compelling. The story is about a girl named Blue and a boy named Gansey. Blue comes from a family that are psychics, but she is not. Instead she acts like a battery for her family whenever they are around her. Gansey, on the other hand, is a rich kid who goes to Aglionby Academy (an all boys private school).  I really enjoyed all of the characters and their personalities especially as the book went on. There were so many twists and turns that you never would have seen coming from a mile away.
Now, Ashvini had asked me to get her the book from the library because she had too many checked out under her name. Of course I got her it and she kept me updated on what she thought throughout the book. So I obviously had to read it...And I think that we both got it finished in about a week more or less. The book will be confusing at first and I know it might sound like a lot but just get through the first 100 or so pages and you will not want to stop and when you get to around page 200 you will be hooked! At the time I was in my reading slump and it took me longer than usual to get through books. I totally recommend it for any one who likes a little bit of adventure, mystery and books that surprize you the whole way through.

Ashvini:
The Raven Boys surprised me. Let me walk you through how it unfolded.
So I went into the Raven Boys expecting a romance. I hadn’t done any kind of Goodreads reading or Booktube watching, I had just kind of picked it up at my local library (YOU had? -Emma). Okay fine, I got Emma to check it out for me because I was exceeding the limit. 50 pages in, I was feeling kind of uneasy about the book. There were some very strange things happening, the characters seemed kind of weird, and I was lost in the sense that I had no clue where the book was going. Flash forward to 350 pages in, incredibly strange things were happening but somehow it all fit, all of a sudden these “weird” characters seemed to be growing on me and the plot seemed to make sense in its own twisted way.
The Raven Boys surprised me. In a totally awesome way. This book was really easy to read and the whole imagery was so vividly written. Although the plot had a slow start and felt kind of choppy at times, this book was just so memorable to me. I’ve never really read anything like it. It’s not horror, but at the same time it still kind of is. It’s not sci-fi but at the same time, it still is.  The best part was the characters. You can tell that Maggie Stiefvater has planned out her characters so well. They just felt so realistic and so well rounded.
I’m really excited to read The Dream Thieves and I’m confident that this is going to be one of those series that just gets better with each publication. 

                           


Can you guess what our next review will be on? HINTS: It's a 2016 Red Maple Nominee! Susin Nielsen has a blurb on the back of it. It's set in BC.

More reviews coming to a computer near you soon(er this time)! 

Yours Truly,
Emma and Ashvini

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dogs - Allan Stratton.

OMG guys! We've missed you! We've literally been drowning in homework these past few months and just had to give the reviewing and blogging a break. We are sincerely sorry for our sudden absence. However, it's summer now, so you can expect tons of new posts in the next little while... :) Photo Source Link: Emma: I had a great time reading The Dogs. First, I have to say that I loved the cover and how it showed the books scary qualities. I just love the look of that blood splattered title. I think that it drew me to the book more than the summary which did not captivate my attention nearly as much as I think it could have. If you are not a fan of scary books this book might not be your forté, but if you do enjoy scary books you are in for a treat. The book was also sprinkled with a little mystery throughout that really made you theorize all of the possible directions that the story could go in. I loved how Cameron (the main character) had to piece together w

Out With The Old - It's Time For Some Changes.

With school in full swing and crisp autumn air rolling in, it’s been about two months since the publishing of our last post. Two months . We’re sorry for that. Truly. Here’s the thing, though... TwoGirlsThatRead is our creative space.   A place where we create content about what we love: literature. However, for too long we’ve been unsuccessfully attempting to continue our regular weekly schedule and have concluded the mission by posting for the sake of posting. That is not okay. We want to ignite TwoGirlsThatRead to its fullest potential, and to do so, we need to make a few changes... Quality over quantity . Our posts may not be regular, but you can still expect a few posts a month...we promise :), but  we want to refocus on presenting the best representation of our ideas, thoughts, and writing. Improve our content . We’d like to spice it up a little. The origin idea for this blog was to create a space where we could discuss our ideas.

Wrapping Up Summer TBR.

Hello Everyone, As we bask in the last month of summer and all it’s glory, as the season comes to a close actually; we’re still holding onto some really amazing and “summery” novels in our TBR. So, as, booklovers it is our faithful duty to...READ THEM ASAP! Like, now. Before summer ends (or attempt to). So, the following novels, as requested by a wonderful reader, are 5 reads that are most definitely to be gobbled up by us before the end of the season. We have each selected two books that we would love to indulge in, regardless of whether or not the other has ANY interest for us to read it, and one that we both mutually MUST agree on. A total of five "summery" books shall be read. An updated post with mini reviews on each of the books shall come soon...wink, wink!                        Ashvini’s Pick: Until Friday Night - Abby Glines. Photo Source: Goodreads Maybe I’m pushing it here with Until Friday Night, as it is a novel following a