Skip to main content

The Night Gardener - Jonathan Auxier.


Emma's Rating: 3.5/5
Ashvini's Rating: 4/5

Emma:
I really enjoyed reading The Night Gardener. At the beginning of most books I normally find them a bit slow. I guess that most authors have trouble making their readers interested at the very start of their books. I always make sure that I always finish a book even if I am not finding it interesting since books tend to get better towards the middle but this book was not like that. It was engaging the whole time. I found that the author was using adjectives to encourage the reader to read on.
It has the perfect balance of magic and suspense I found it very interesting
I absolutely loved how when I was not even half way through the book I already had so many questions. I thought that the author was doing so well keeping me interested at all times. Thinking back there was not a time when I did not have a question but in the end they were all answered and believe I love to have something to think about and wonder after I've put the book down.
I absolutely positively loved this book it kind of reminds me of Eldritch Manor and The BFG Both for different reasons. They have the same kind of eerie feeling to it but the difference between the three is that one is full of fairy's and mermaid's, one has this creepy old tree obsessed hag and the last one has a big friendly giant who's hobby is collecting dreams (both good and bad). If you have read these books you would under stand why they are related to the Night Gardener.
And now I finally see why it was always checked out of the library.


Ashvini:
The Night Gardener was really unique in the sense that a lot of the time when people hear the term “horror/creepy stories” they think of ghosts, zombies, vampires, etc. I too, used to think along those lines when I thought of scary stories. This book really opened my eyes to the broadness of the “terror” genre because of how this book didn't have any of those and had almost a historical setting.
I have to say the characters really grew on me over time. My first impression of Molly and Kip’s personalities was:  fake. When Molly was explaining to Kip what had happened on the boat for the first time at the beginning, the way that she stood so strong in a desperate situation was so unrealistic. As you progressed in the book, you realized that Molly and Kip weren't completely invincible as they sounded at the beginning.  They each did have their own flaws and “wishes.”  You also got to see the real bravery and fighter in them towards the end of the book. The bravery in the end when they knew that the only chance they had of surviving lied in outsmarting the evil force was just pure platinum.
As sugar and sprinkles as I've described this book so far, I will say that there was just one thing missing from The Night Gardener. I can’t really pinpoint what it’s called, but I definitely will say it was missing at times in this book. It’s that heart wrenching element that could make you sob non-stop at parts. It’s that shiver that runs down your spine due to suspense. I know the way I’m describing this probably sounds ridiculous but I really would've liked to see a stronger sensation of that in this book.
Overall, The Night Gardener was still a really good read and I would recommend this to anyone who loves a puzzling tale with a touch of eeriness!
_______________________

Can you guess what our next review will be on? HINTS: It's another fractured fairytale. It's a colorful middle grade novel that broke out in Fall 2013!

More reviews coming to a computer near you soon!

Yours Truly,
Emma and Ashvini 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dogs - Allan Stratton.

OMG guys! We've missed you! We've literally been drowning in homework these past few months and just had to give the reviewing and blogging a break. We are sincerely sorry for our sudden absence. However, it's summer now, so you can expect tons of new posts in the next little while... :) Photo Source Link: Emma: I had a great time reading The Dogs. First, I have to say that I loved the cover and how it showed the books scary qualities. I just love the look of that blood splattered title. I think that it drew me to the book more than the summary which did not captivate my attention nearly as much as I think it could have. If you are not a fan of scary books this book might not be your forté, but if you do enjoy scary books you are in for a treat. The book was also sprinkled with a little mystery throughout that really made you theorize all of the possible directions that the story could go in. I loved how Cameron (the main character) had to piece together w

Out With The Old - It's Time For Some Changes.

With school in full swing and crisp autumn air rolling in, it’s been about two months since the publishing of our last post. Two months . We’re sorry for that. Truly. Here’s the thing, though... TwoGirlsThatRead is our creative space.   A place where we create content about what we love: literature. However, for too long we’ve been unsuccessfully attempting to continue our regular weekly schedule and have concluded the mission by posting for the sake of posting. That is not okay. We want to ignite TwoGirlsThatRead to its fullest potential, and to do so, we need to make a few changes... Quality over quantity . Our posts may not be regular, but you can still expect a few posts a month...we promise :), but  we want to refocus on presenting the best representation of our ideas, thoughts, and writing. Improve our content . We’d like to spice it up a little. The origin idea for this blog was to create a space where we could discuss our ideas.

Wrapping Up Summer TBR.

Hello Everyone, As we bask in the last month of summer and all it’s glory, as the season comes to a close actually; we’re still holding onto some really amazing and “summery” novels in our TBR. So, as, booklovers it is our faithful duty to...READ THEM ASAP! Like, now. Before summer ends (or attempt to). So, the following novels, as requested by a wonderful reader, are 5 reads that are most definitely to be gobbled up by us before the end of the season. We have each selected two books that we would love to indulge in, regardless of whether or not the other has ANY interest for us to read it, and one that we both mutually MUST agree on. A total of five "summery" books shall be read. An updated post with mini reviews on each of the books shall come soon...wink, wink!                        Ashvini’s Pick: Until Friday Night - Abby Glines. Photo Source: Goodreads Maybe I’m pushing it here with Until Friday Night, as it is a novel following a