Skip to main content

Trouble is a Friend of Mine - Stephanie Tromly - Review!

Hey! It’s been soooooo long! Also, it’s SUMMER!!!!! YAY, schools out! Today we bring to you a Canadian (#readthenorth) Red Maple Award Nominee of 2017 by a super cool author we've actually been bestowed the pleasure of meeting at the Forest of Reading ceremony earlier this year. Ms. Tromly was incredibly kind and earnest and we had an amazing time chatting with her. So we're quite excited to discuss her book!





Ashvini:
While you could discuss the way the development of the main character's behaviour (if any) wore thin as Zoe repeatedly found herself in scenarios like (very mini spoiler alert!), “we found a can of snow paint in your daughter’s possession,” or “we’ll pretend to buy a bunch of drugs,” and “who says we have to go to class.” I like to imagine that despite all the questionable behaviour, Zoe’s character still took a road trip; a journey in finding herself; and each chapter, marked her progress along the way.

At the start of the novel, you had this girl who was grappling with the unfamiliar setting of the new town and the separation of her parents; two starkly different figures with unlike attitudes, ideas, and values. I remember feeling as if Zoe was caught in the middle of a parent trap: so harshly judging one parent whilst heavily idolizing the other. She struggled to characterize herself in the midst of her parents’ expectations. This, I believe, is where Digby comes in. Throughout the novel; Zoe describes Digby in the “everything changed after we started hanging out,” Margo-Roth-Speigelman light, which I like to imagine is because, Digby, the witty version of a happy go lucky Sherlock, could get to Zoe and understand her in a way that wasn’t pitying or hostile; a way that no one else could. This whole journey of Zoe discovering and finding herself, took place after meeting Digby, and in all of the expeditions they went on together, she stepped into the shoes of an alternate version of herself; one that from her descriptions of her life before moving into the story's fictional setting of River Heights, is outside of her comfort zone and a whole lot more “daring.”In doing so, she was able to realize what and who she wanted in her life. Not only that, but Zoe was also able to grow in her own acceptance towards others. 

Though I think my biggest frustration with this book, an issue that never really received any attention or closure, in the end, was the complete stereotypical judgment on Zoe’s part towards others…especially the stereotypical social-villain of her school: "Sloane." As much as I understand the use of Sloane's character for dramatic effect or even just relatability with readers, I still really despised the way Zoe would handle/indirectly respond to Sloane. I think it's simply become an incredibly tired out trope in YA literature itself. Naturally, Young Adult literature carries a myriad of teenage angst, that's a given, but I think it's just as important to convey a more matured perspective of those angsty moments at the end of a novel. Teenagers grow, we change, we understand more about ourselves and the world around us. Every author's entitled to how they choose to write...but those are just my two cents. :) 
Aside from that, the way Stephanie Tromly tells the story is really refreshing, lighthearted, easy to read; it's “book crack.” It extremely comedic, loose and frill-free, you’re allowed to colour in your own visualization and interpretations of the setting, characters, and stories, whilst still making sense.  Her easy-to-read writing reaches out and instills a critical message of finding yourself and acceptance to a different audience, and in a different way. This isn’t your mother or even your best friend’s coming-of-age novel (lol, Emma). It’s fun and breezy; and I think that it’s contribution as a novel diversifies the YA category and attracts/appeals to a variety of avid readers and simply people who want to get into reading.

Ashvini's Rating: 3.5/5


Emma:

Let me start this review off, by saying that Trouble is a Friend of Mine, is Stephanie Tromly debut novel. It was one of those books that are enjoyable to read in the moment, but not necessarily a favourite. I don’t think I will look back on this book like I do with my all time favourites. That said I didn’t hate it either. This book was incredibly different from what I am used to reading. You can often count on finding me with a high fantasy book. Believe me, I have tried to read contemporary, but I think it is the matter of finding the right type of book for me. Not the genre. Anyways, I was not a big fan of the cover at our library. The green and orange stripes did contrast in a somewhat appealing way, but I found the binoculars to completely throw off the vibe. The whole binoculars thing was just a bad idea in the first place with Digby upside down and Zoe in the corner. I found that the cover just had too much going on. Not to mention the cover for Trouble Makes a Comeback. I would have much preferred either of the two current gray covers. For that reason, The orange/green cover is not pictured.
Being written by a Canadian author, I was also quite disappointed at the fact that Trouble is a Friend of Mine, wasn’t even set in Canada. I originally read Trouble is a Friend of Mine as it was a 2017 Red Maple nominee.

(Red Maple, is a Canadian program for young readers that showcases 10 Canadian books each of which are nominated for this award. These young readers themselves then vote the candidate they enjoyed the most.)

One of the nice things about Red Maple is that since the authors are Canadian most of the time the books are set in Canada. It is really fun to explore places in your home country, as I’m sure many can relate, being that it is not often we see contemporary books that take place right here in Canada. It made me kind of upset, as the book implied that universities in Canada are not as good as the ones in the United States. I understand the honour and title that comes with being accepted into an Ivy League or other top notch universities, however, I just feel like Zoe was so caught up in her own little world having to go to ‘the best’ school. When in reality, no one other than yourself, can determine what ‘the best school’ for you is.

I found the characters to be slightly annoying, each for different reasons. There were just a lot of characters that I thought could have benefited from a little more character development. Throughout the story there were also many pop culture references. I did catch a few of the song references and I’m sure there were more pop culture references that I had missed. I did not mind the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) hints, but as I am slightly introverted and cannot keep up with everything going on, they were not nearly as engaging for me to read. On top of that the ending seemed a little hastily done as there were so many parts that had yet to be wrapped up.

A big thing for me, was the friendship. Without giving too much away, I will say that Zoe and Digby’s relationship was fine. So often YA is

One thing I did thoroughly enjoy about this book was how Tromly was not afraid to touch on the sensitive topic of drugs. I find that in YA many topics, such as drugs are treated like dynamite. Part of me thinks this is due to the fact that YA is directed at ‘young impressionable teens’ who shouldn’t be thinking about topics as harsh as addiction. Unfortunately, it is reality and I admire Stephanie Tromly for taking that unspoken risk in Young Adult literature.

Overall, I was not a big fan Trouble is a Friend of Mine. I think I just had such high expectations for it, as Ashvini kept raving about how amazing it was. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t necessarily hate it, as there were multiple enjoyable aspects, but it definitely wasn’t my favourite book either.


Emma's Rating: 3/5

                           

So, that's all for today folks! As always, please enlighten us to your thoughts! Let us know, have you read this book?  Or do you plan to? What would you like to see from us next? We wish you all some very happy summer reading!

More reviews coming to a computer near you soon!

Yours Truly,
Emma and Ashvini



Comments

  1. Hmmm...both of you make excellent points. What I like most about your reviews is that you are always fair in your critiques. You share not only disappointments, and perceived strengths of the book, but also are quick to note your own biases (e.g., tired of sterotyping people, drawn to Canadian writers in hopes of a Canadian landscape or a Canadian connection to be shared). As Ms. Tromly's first published book, I would say "Trouble is a Friend of Mine" sounds still worth a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there,
      Thank you so much for the shower of compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed reading our thoughts; we like to do what we can to provide a whole representation on the novel. No book is perfect...but there's something to be appreciated from every one! Be sure to stay tuned for more book awesomeness!
      Happy Reading,
      Emma and Ashvini

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your points of view. Are their any books that are a total MUST READ this summer? To you have a Top 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!
      Thank you so much for your comment! We really appreciate you taking the time to check out our blog. As for the MUST READS, you're in luck, fellow reader...because we have a TBR post coming up for next Tuesday! ;) Stay tuned, we can't wait for y'all to see it!
      Happy Reading,
      Emma and Ashvini

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dogs - Allan Stratton.

OMG guys! We've missed you! We've literally been drowning in homework these past few months and just had to give the reviewing and blogging a break. We are sincerely sorry for our sudden absence. However, it's summer now, so you can expect tons of new posts in the next little while... :) Photo Source Link: Emma: I had a great time reading The Dogs. First, I have to say that I loved the cover and how it showed the books scary qualities. I just love the look of that blood splattered title. I think that it drew me to the book more than the summary which did not captivate my attention nearly as much as I think it could have. If you are not a fan of scary books this book might not be your forté, but if you do enjoy scary books you are in for a treat. The book was also sprinkled with a little mystery throughout that really made you theorize all of the possible directions that the story could go in. I loved how Cameron (the main character) had to piece together w

Out With The Old - It's Time For Some Changes.

With school in full swing and crisp autumn air rolling in, it’s been about two months since the publishing of our last post. Two months . We’re sorry for that. Truly. Here’s the thing, though... TwoGirlsThatRead is our creative space.   A place where we create content about what we love: literature. However, for too long we’ve been unsuccessfully attempting to continue our regular weekly schedule and have concluded the mission by posting for the sake of posting. That is not okay. We want to ignite TwoGirlsThatRead to its fullest potential, and to do so, we need to make a few changes... Quality over quantity . Our posts may not be regular, but you can still expect a few posts a month...we promise :), but  we want to refocus on presenting the best representation of our ideas, thoughts, and writing. Improve our content . We’d like to spice it up a little. The origin idea for this blog was to create a space where we could discuss our ideas.

Wrapping Up Summer TBR.

Hello Everyone, As we bask in the last month of summer and all it’s glory, as the season comes to a close actually; we’re still holding onto some really amazing and “summery” novels in our TBR. So, as, booklovers it is our faithful duty to...READ THEM ASAP! Like, now. Before summer ends (or attempt to). So, the following novels, as requested by a wonderful reader, are 5 reads that are most definitely to be gobbled up by us before the end of the season. We have each selected two books that we would love to indulge in, regardless of whether or not the other has ANY interest for us to read it, and one that we both mutually MUST agree on. A total of five "summery" books shall be read. An updated post with mini reviews on each of the books shall come soon...wink, wink!                        Ashvini’s Pick: Until Friday Night - Abby Glines. Photo Source: Goodreads Maybe I’m pushing it here with Until Friday Night, as it is a novel following a