Skip to main content

The Sword of Summer - Rick Riordan.

Oh man, it's been forever since we've done a review. Is it too late now to say sorry?



Emma's Rating: 4/5
Ashvini's Rating: 4/5

Ashvini:
M-MAG-NUS-CHASE! I just had to turn it into a song…
My biggest worry with Magnus Chase was that it would turn into a cheap remake of Percy Jackson. After reading it though, I can safely say that is not at all the case.
Our main character Magnus is dead (not a spoiler), apparently looks like Kurt Cobain, hates the colour blue, and is very sassy and sarcastic - in a not cute way. So Magnus dies, and finds himself at a magical Norse hotel afterlife… Not too much like Percy Jackson right?
Norse mythology isn’t generally as well-known as Greek mythology, but the timing of the world building and plot development was extremely well done. At times, the switch between the nine worlds (Yup, there are nine Norse worlds) could be a lot, but you’re never too disoriented to continue. ( I was able to keep my nine worlds straight because I had the pamphlet from the Indigo Exclusive Edition. Haha!  - Emma:)
This book also responds very well to the lack of diversity in novels, with some very solid characters. One of our main characters, Hearthstone, is an elf that can’t speak or hear, yet throughout the story he’s committed to bravery and being there for Magnus and the gang. Sam is another solid character, who plays a vital role to the story is Arabic.
The only reason I’m not giving this book 5 stars is because I felt that the ending was a little too rushed and I would’ve just liked to see more. For Rick Riordan’s writing this book didn’t reach its full potential, but then again this is only the first book. I’m excited to read the next book: The Hammer of Thor after I read the rest of the Heroes of Olympus series. Emma!! Stop editing my work! :) (Seriously though you better get started on that!- Emma)
Spoilers!
Guys! According to the title of Chapter #72, Magnus loses the bet!! I foretell the entwinement of two mythologies!
Spoilers Over and Out!

Emma:
Okay where do I start? (that was a rhetorical question) Well I was in quite a reading slump back in October. As soon as I picked up this book though "Everything has Changed". Haha! I didn't even mean to do it till I wrote it. :). Seriously I cannot stress for how long I have asked Ashvini to review Percy Jackson. This is the next best thing! I can't explain how long I've waited to hear that signature sarcasm of Rick Riordan's. I've also missed Rick's chapter titles, LOL. I found the characters very interesting as they each had their own backstory. It would take to long and be boring to read about each of them from me, because Ashvini pretty much sums it up. Magnus is dead within the first three or five chapters. I can't finish this post without talking about Annabeth. So, I've known for a while now that she was Magnus's cousin but it is still awesome enough to say...
SPOILERS
I am sorry I had to. I had no choice. Now go read the book or scroll down to our other posts then read the book. Anybody who's read the book feel free to stay. First thing on this spoiler filled list is...
Gunilla, I say she died heroically because as much as I disliked her she still had a good heart. 
Sam, she was so cool with her "abilities" I would do anything to get those.  
Annabeth, Okay at the end who thinks that we will have a collision here? I do.
SPOILERS OVER AND OUT:
Can't wait for Thor's Hammer!


Can you guess what our next review will be on? HINTS: It's a middle grade horror novel. It has the word "famous" in the title. It came out about a year ago.

More reviews coming to a computer near you soon!

Yours Truly,
Emma and Ashvini


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dogs - Allan Stratton.

OMG guys! We've missed you! We've literally been drowning in homework these past few months and just had to give the reviewing and blogging a break. We are sincerely sorry for our sudden absence. However, it's summer now, so you can expect tons of new posts in the next little while... :) Photo Source Link: Emma: I had a great time reading The Dogs. First, I have to say that I loved the cover and how it showed the books scary qualities. I just love the look of that blood splattered title. I think that it drew me to the book more than the summary which did not captivate my attention nearly as much as I think it could have. If you are not a fan of scary books this book might not be your forté, but if you do enjoy scary books you are in for a treat. The book was also sprinkled with a little mystery throughout that really made you theorize all of the possible directions that the story could go in. I loved how Cameron (the main character) had to piece together w

Out With The Old - It's Time For Some Changes.

With school in full swing and crisp autumn air rolling in, it’s been about two months since the publishing of our last post. Two months . We’re sorry for that. Truly. Here’s the thing, though... TwoGirlsThatRead is our creative space.   A place where we create content about what we love: literature. However, for too long we’ve been unsuccessfully attempting to continue our regular weekly schedule and have concluded the mission by posting for the sake of posting. That is not okay. We want to ignite TwoGirlsThatRead to its fullest potential, and to do so, we need to make a few changes... Quality over quantity . Our posts may not be regular, but you can still expect a few posts a month...we promise :), but  we want to refocus on presenting the best representation of our ideas, thoughts, and writing. Improve our content . We’d like to spice it up a little. The origin idea for this blog was to create a space where we could discuss our ideas.

Wrapping Up Summer TBR.

Hello Everyone, As we bask in the last month of summer and all it’s glory, as the season comes to a close actually; we’re still holding onto some really amazing and “summery” novels in our TBR. So, as, booklovers it is our faithful duty to...READ THEM ASAP! Like, now. Before summer ends (or attempt to). So, the following novels, as requested by a wonderful reader, are 5 reads that are most definitely to be gobbled up by us before the end of the season. We have each selected two books that we would love to indulge in, regardless of whether or not the other has ANY interest for us to read it, and one that we both mutually MUST agree on. A total of five "summery" books shall be read. An updated post with mini reviews on each of the books shall come soon...wink, wink!                        Ashvini’s Pick: Until Friday Night - Abby Glines. Photo Source: Goodreads Maybe I’m pushing it here with Until Friday Night, as it is a novel following a